"‘I know some good games we could play,’We’re not kitten you.
said the cat.
‘I know some new tricks,’
said the cat in the hat.
‘a lot of good tricks.
I will show them to you.
your mother will not mind at all if I do.’"-Dr. Seuss, The Cat in the Hat Share
We have what purr-haps may be the most fun and engaging STEM challenge of all time for International Cat Day, which takes place on August 8th.
And it is inspired by a famous fable featuring a funny and furry feline… The Cat in the Hat, written by none other than Dr. Seuss.
How about that!
Cat in the Hat STEM Challenge
- 3Doodler Start pen (1x per person, or 1x per team)
- 1x 24-strand pack of Simply White filaments
- 1x 24-strand pack of Cherry Red filaments
- 3Doodler Start DoodlePad (1x per person, or 1x per team)
- The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss (read it to bring some litter-acy to the STEM fun)
Share the goal: How tall can you make the cat’s hat?
- Doodle the Hat: Doodle circles and lines together in layers of red and white for your hat
- You can use the circle on your DoodlePad as a stencil, and the grid to Doodle lines for assembling the circles to make your hat.
- Engineer the tallest hat you can without it toppling over
- STEM learners can compete against each other, either in teams or one-on-one
- Ready, Set… Ensure the participants have the pens and the filaments ready
- Go! Have the participants start at the same time
- Avoid Cat-astrophe! Carefully engineer each layer to ensure it stands strong
- Make Hiss-tory! Share the winning cat hat on Twitter! #3Doodler @3Doodler
Critical Thinking Tip: If your Doodled Cat Hat falls, assess the structure of it to see where the design can be improved.
We can’t wait to see your STEM cat hats!
Do you love this festive STEM activity?
Please let us know by giving us a shout out on social media. We will cherish your feedback fur-ever!